Android is an open-source platform, which is growing by leaps and bounds. This is due to the fact that Android based mobile devices are used by a large number of users all over the world. Naturally, this has raised the demand for Android apps, making Android app development one of the most lucrative businesses nowadays.
It is not that difficult a task to develop an Android app due to support from a large community of Android developers and numerous tools and technologies, which are available online. You can use these resources and take the help of the community to develop an Android app and submit it on Google Play. But simply developing an app is not sufficient, what you need to do is focus on developing a great app, which will be an instant hit with your target audience. For this, let us understand the traits of a great Android app.
Traits of a great Android app:
- It is intuitive: The first and foremost quality of a great Android app is that users must find it intuitive. Hence, keep the app simple and direct so that the users can download it and start using it right away. Also, this makes the app easy for you to code and debug.
- It is consistent: One of the drawbacks of the Android platform is device and OS fragmentation; there are numerous Android handsets and multiple Android OS versions. This is why, it is important that you develop an app, which performs consistently across all the Android devices and OS. Needless to say, a consistent app is more popular with the end-users.
- It is unique: Your app must be unique and you can make this possible in a number of ways. For instance, you can use a new color scheme/graphic effect in the app, introduce a different functionality or feature or improve upon an existing app or think of a totally different concept altogether. The more unique the app, the more successful it will be on Google Play.
Now, let us go through some of the steps which are essential in developing a great Android app.
- Update your knowledge: As an Android app developer, you must have a thorough knowledge about the latest Android tools and technologies. For instance, the most recent Android OS version is the Jelly Bean. So, you need to refresh your knowledge and update your programming skills to understand this latest version of Android and develop apps accordingly.
- Know the purpose of your app – Before you start developing the app, you must know what purpose your app will serve. Ask yourself questions like – who will use this app, when will they use this app and most importantly, why will they use this app? These questions will lead you to the next step, which is – conducting thorough research.
- Conduct thorough research – By conducting thorough research about your target users and the current market trends, you will know how to plan your app. As an outcome of the research, you will know whether the app is feasible or not, or does a similar app already exist in the market, what are the best apps in the category of app you are developing etc. This will help you build an app, which will be well-received by your target users.
Once you are done with these steps, you can proceed to developing your app and test it thoroughly before submitting it on Google Play. I am sure, that when the app is launched in the market, it will become immensely popular with your target audience.