Source code analysis is an important part of the coding game for developers. The source code analysis is done to identify security threats and breaches.
They are also used to correct errors so that the final software when, is delivered to the client/end user, the program, application, software is mostly error free, and is result oriented, with up to the mark functions and features according to the requirement of the user.
Tools in the market
While different tools have been marketed out in the software engineering arena, it is always best to acquire those tools for the analysis that fit best to the coding criteria. Do not go for the tools that provide lesser compatibility criteria and you have to bear more cost than budgeted for the software coded. So many online companies and business entities provide the tools with very low charges. They can also provide you the source-code-analysis services so that you do not have to go through the hassle of finding tools, installing them, hiring testers and then go on with the product to be produced. This would take up a lot of cost. Companies have online websites as well, from where you can get their services as well.
How to choose
While selecting the tools, you should always decide upon the type of code, if it is static or dynamic. With that, the type of tools to be used can be defined as well, to be accurate in operations and to save cost. Such tools can be acquired online and be bought as well, for finding the security vulnerabilities. However, it is better to choose a good services provider, or buy a toll with good developers’ backup.
The activities of the source code analysis after you have chosen the correct ones are as follows:
- Operating on source codes, to define or leverage a scanner that can be used for newer languages as well and update the older ones. This is named as being versatile and open source.
- The tools also help in finding the gap between the actual coding and the required one, reporting on the coding process, root cause analysis, benchmarking for peer-groupings, road maps for mitigations, relevant findings etc. Such tools for analysis can also do executive reporting.
- The tools focus on manual code reviews as well and find error if any.
- The tools can handle post vulnerability issues as well. It is only possible if the tools match the coding language and platform.
- To make compliance with the given standards of coding, the tools are used and they will manage the standards into the coding for streaming out the errors and vulnerability issues. This can help the software life cycle to be supported by congruent security life cycle simultaneously as well.
While you can find such factors and functionality details in tools with companies you hire for the source code, analysis or buy the tools, then only you can be sure the product will be out of security and other vulnerability issues.