Having to drop your phone accidentally is one of the most fearsome things that can happen to you at any given time. If in case you dropped your phone accidentally in water, you should calm yourself and remember not to panic. And then, follow the key tips below on what to do with your phone in a situation like this.
1. Pull your phone out of the water as quickly as possible.
Presence of mind is the one that should prevail in you, once you accidentally dropped your phone in water. You can’t be panicking at such a crucial time.
- Take your phone out of the water immediately.
- The less amount of time your phone is soaked in water, the fewer chances you’ll have of it being severely damaged.
Just don’t assume that your phone will still be okay after it is soaked in water. You should expect that something will be wrong with it especially if your phone is not water resistant.
2. Turn off your phone and take the battery out of the device.
Most mobile devices are still on even though it was dropped in water accidentally, so what you need to do now is turn it off and take out its battery (if the battery is removable). Removing the battery will prevent the chances of a short circuit from occurring. Not all phones have a removable battery though. If your phone does not allow you to remove its battery, just turn it off and leave it be.
3. Remove the SIM and memory cards (if you have one) from your phone.
Don’t forget to take out both your SIM and memory cards from your mobile device as well. It could be that the water has not yet seeped in through their respective slots..
- SIM and memory cards are both vulnerable to water damage. If both of them are water-damaged, you won’t be able to use them again.
- Removing the SIM and memory cards from your phone will also help you in drying their respective slots as well.
4. If you dropped your phone in salt water or dirty water, wash it with running clean water first.
You need to wash your phone right after it was dropped with clean water to remove any contaminants and to prevent corrosion caused by salt. Just remember not to soak your phone in clean water and be very quick with it.
5. Dry your phone the proper way.
There are a couple of DIY methods for you to dry your phone properly. They can help in sucking out all the water and moisture in your phone. Just remember to dry your phone for a significant time, like 24-48 hours before turning it on again.
- You can submerge your phone inside a bag of uncooked rice and leave it be for 24-36 hours. Uncooked rice does an excellent job of sucking up water and moisture from inside your phone.
- Put your phone in a bag or a container along with a couple of packets of silica gel and leave it there for 24-48 hours. Silica gels are very efficient for sucking out moisture from your phone.
- You may also use a vacuum cleaner (if you have one at home) for drying out your phone.
- Don’t use a hair dryer for drying your phone. They can help spread the water in your phone throughout the other parts of your phone.
6. Check if your phone is still working.
You should only check your phone once it is completely dry. Once it is dry already, you can turn it on to check if it is still working the same way as it did before it was dropped in water.
- Check if the phone turns on. If it doesn’t turn on, it could be that there’s something wrong with the battery.
- Try charging the phone to check if there’s something wrong with the battery. If it doesn’t charge, it means that the battery could be already dead. You might need to replace it with a new one or bring it to an authorized service center and tell them what happened to your phone.
- If the phone turns on, check to see if it is lagging or stalling while powering it on.
Electronic devices and water will never get along together. Even the most high-end phones with good water resistance rating are still vulnerable to water damage. This is why it is important for everyone to know what to do if you accidentally dropped your phone in water.
This Article is contributed by Rhett, the owner of BuzzTech. A leading specialist of phone and tablet repairs in Victoria. With 3 stores and more on the way, the team at Buzztech offers on the spot repairs in 5-15 minutes.
Subject matter is very important because mobile phones are now hand in hand, anytime the total phone can water, 6 points are important. These 6 points will help save the life of the total phone.